The Boys’ and Girls’ Clubs Association of Hong Kong (BGCA) was founded in 1936. It has now developed into a well-founded organization, offering a wide range of services to children, youth and families. The W I Cheung Scholarship was established in memory of Mr W I Cheung, JP, past Chairman, Executive Committee of BGCA, to recognize the efforts of children and youths to our society.
Each year, 15 outstanding young people will be selected by a panel and each to receive $3,000 as a token of encouragement. The Scholarship has been made possible with a generous donation from Mr W I Cheung’s family to commemorate his contribution to BGCA over the past 40 years and as the same time, acknowledge his role in leading BGCA to become a forerunner in services for children and youths. The 3rd W I Cheung Scholarship Selection has come to an end successfully, 17 outstanding young people and school with most active participation were awarded. Thank you very much for your nomination in the 2013 selection.
The Scholarship aims to:
- Recognize the personal development of children and young people who have made remarkable progress or outstanding contributions in the areas of creativity, community service, or who have overcome adversities in life.
- Increase public awareness of children and youth development and promote the sustainability of work on children’s development.
Categories of the Scholarship
- Resilience-Ability and determination to overcome difficulties and hardship (eg. Chronic illness, physical disability, family financial hardship, etc.) in life.
- Community Service-Active participation in community services or activities benefitting the community and accumulated 200 service hours or above for the past year. Being compassionate and enthusiastic about serving the needy, demonstrated leadership, shows responsibility and commitment to duties assigned, be an proactive learner, ready to serve what have learnt and contribute constructive ideas for service improvement.
- Creativity-Ability to apply ecodesign concepts to design or household appliances / furniture modification, etc. (Please submit either design drawing or true item).
Nominee should be full-time students and in Primary 4 to Secondary 6 in the school year of 2015/2016.
Short-listed nominees are required to attend the Selection Interview by the Selection Panel which comprises of representative form Mr W I Cheung’s family, representative of the Executive Committee of BGCA, Government official, academic professional, experienced educator and experienced social worker. The Selection Interview will be held on September 3, 2016 (Saturday).
The result of selection will be released in mid September , 2016 (Saturday). All Scholarship recipients are required to attend the following events:
- ‧Date : October 8, 2016 (Saturday)
- ‧Venue : Auditorium, BGCA’s Headquarters Building
Nominations are accepted from today to July 31, 2016 (Wednesday). Nominations should be submitted in person or by post to The Boys’ and Girls’ Clubs Association of Hong Kong, 3 Lockhart Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong or by online nomination through Scholarship’s website
For enquiries, please contact Mr Joe Li or Ms Helen Siu at 2527 9121 or by email
Download nomination form